Wednesday, January 7, 2015

It's been awhile.  I was just going to start a new blog, but decided since this one is already here, I'd just pick up and start here again.

So much has happened since I last posted.  The biggest change is that my mom lost her battle with cancer in November of 2012.  Even though it's been over 2 years, it still affects me daily.  This past Christmas season was really hard.  I thought it would get easier each year, but for some reason this one was unusually tough.  While I usually love the holiday season, I'm glad they're over this year.  But a great friend did remind me that our parents made the holidays really special for us, and I need to remember to do that for my kids.  

I'm starting again because I want to stay accountable for the things I want to accomplish.  It's easy to sit down and make goals (or resolutions), to never actually write them down, and then after a few weeks, let them fall by the wayside and go back to old habits.  I'm going to do better this time.  I feel like I'm mentally and emotionally in a good place.  I like me, I love my life, and I'm a generally happy person.  Now I have to make that happy person a healthier person too.

1.) I will eat clean 90% of the time.
      We did a challenge at work in October, and I cut wheat out of my diet.  (It started out as carbs, but turned out to be mostly wheat, as I still ate oatmeal and such.)  I felt TONS better, had a lot more energy, and wasn't drop dead tired when I got home from work.  My main goal is to eat very little processed food, and as little wheat as possible. (I will still have the occasional pizza, as it is my favorite food!)  I'd like to cut out soda, and will drink, at minimum, 8 glasses of water a day.

  2.) I will exercise more
     My main goal under this is to run a 5k with my oldest daughter (a color run) before she goes to college in the fall.  To be able to do this, I want to start the C25K running program (or something similar) this week.  I also need to do some strength training.  (Joining a gym is not an option, so it's really hard for me to stay motivated with this on my own.)  I've been using a pedometer app on my phone, but am considering getting a fitbit or something equivalent to stay on track.  I will be going back to DC in the spring of 2016 with my daughter (on her 8th grade class trip), so I want to be in shape to do all that walking again.

  3.) I will be less lazy!
     I will keep up with the housework.  I will do the dishes pretty much every night.  (Sometimes I'll let this slide when there aren't very many from the day, but I know it's easier and less time consuming to do a few every night than to let them pile up and have to do them all at once.  I will do better with this!)  I am also going to go through the house and get rid of the stuff we don't need/use.  I'm tired of clutter!  When the house is clean and in order, I feel so much better.

4.) I will budget my income tax return and stick to it.  I didn't do very well with this last year, and am scraping by until I get mine this year.

5.) I will treat myself to a one day bus trip to NYC at Christmas time when I lose 50 lbs.  I love that city, and want to see it decorated for Christmas so badly.  Guess it's a good motivator, knowing how badly I want to go.

Hopefully if I come back and read this every day, I'll stay on track and get to the place I really want to be.

No comments: