Saturday, April 14, 2012

End of Week 3?

I'm not sure how much I'll be around in the next couple days, so I'll post today.

As of right now, I stayed the same. I also only "officially" exercised 2 days, but spent today and yesterday moving my mom. We remodeled the basement, and we moved her in. Unfortunately, there's more to the story (later).
I did ok with eating too, but didnt count calories...just tried to watch portions and such.

Next week I hope to lose 2+ pounds.
I need to exercise at least 3 days (this is going to be iffy)
Count calories (again, iffy for this week)

And here is why things will be a bit iffy. As if things weren't already stressful enough... we took my mom to the ER last night around 8. She came to my house yesterday and was really really jaundiced. (For those of you new to my blog, my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer 5 years ago. She's had 4 surgeries, chemo, etc. The last surgery (last year in Feb) was really hard on her, and its been a rough year. We know she still has some spots on her liver.) So I was getting worried. She slept all day, barely woke up to eat or talk...so after much begging, b!tch!in, pleading and crying (me), she finally went. Her bloodwork came back great, except her potassium...it was critically low. So they started her on IV potassium. She also had a CAT scan and x-ray. The scan showed a big change since the last one, and the ER doc told us it's usually pretty bad at this point. He didn't want to tell my mom that yet, he wanted her to talk to her oncologist and a surgeon to see what they had to say. She called today to say they're sending her to Columbus (that is about 2 hours away). She's had all her surgeries there, so they want her to go back there for the consultation. I'm waiting to hear from here to see when she's being transferred, and when I should head down. So I dont know when I'll be eating, what I'll be eating, where I'll be eating/staying if necessary. Everything is a little up in the air.

Oh, and my daughter has her appointment with a pediatric cardiologist on Thursday afternoon (about 1 1/2 hours away near Cleveland). Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere.

But to end on a bright note... We put out an email to our church family on Wednesday saying we were moving Mom today. We had about 35 friends and family show up to help, with about 8 trucks. The first truck pulled in at 8:10 am (she's only moving a mile up the road), and the last truck was done at 10:15 am. I scrambled to finish an early lunch so everyone could eat, and then many stayed to start unpacking boxes and putting things away. They washed and scrubbed and put away until about 4:30pm. There are only a few boxes left my mom will have to sort through. It will be so wonderful for her to come home to a house all put together. I am so blessed. Its been a bit of a rough ride lately, but knowing there are so many people out there that love us and pray for us and are there for us makes it a little easier.

13 comments:

Alana Jo said...

I am sorry to hear that your Mom is sick. My Mom is very ill as well and it is so hard to stay on track when you are so worried about a loved one.

I wouldn't worry so much about the exercise. Moving burns tons of calories.

Best of luck to you this week!

Kara Lea said...

Hang in there- it's easy to redirect our energies to our loved ones because that's where it's needed. And rightly so, but don't forget about yourself and keeping healthy too. Even if it's just a short walk around the block or nice long bubble bath or sharing what's on your mind through your blog. It can help you stay focused. I didn't do this last fall when it was my "turn" to go through some tough things & I wish I could have.

Shannon said...

Good luck on week 4! You sure did have quite a supportive group of people to help with the move! :)

Shannon
http://www.everystepcounts365.wordpress.com

Caron said...

What a busy week you had! Good luck with week 4. :)

PlumPetals said...

So sorry to hear how hectic and stressful things have been with your mom and daughter. I hope everything works out well and that you get some time this upcoming week for yourself.

How lovely to have a community who are so helpful and supportive.

Good luck with week 4!

Treadmill Hiker said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's health scare, and whatever issue is requiring your daughter's visit to the pediatric cardiologist. That's a lot of stress for one week! Put into God's hands all you can't control, and keep reminding yourself of what you are in control of. I hope you're finding the same sort of encouragement from this group in the summer fitness challenge as you've found in your Church family. Your health and fitness may not be your primary focus for now, but it will certainly play a part in how you feel as you deal with the other life issues.

Have a great new week, and I hope all goes well with your family.

Weight Wars said...

So sorry to hear about your mother x
You've had a stressful week, I hope that this week is easier for you.

Jenn said...

I'm sending prayers to your mom. My mother has some pretty serious health issues as well and it can be extremely stressful.

Best wishes for a good report from your daughter's doctor appointment this week.

Good luck with your week!

Annie, The Amazing Shrinking Girl said...

So sorry to hear about your mom and daughter but so happy that you have such a wonderful support system with your church family.

Take care of yourself and your family... we'll be here when you have the time to stop by.

Good luck!

Nanette said...

Thinking healing thoughts for your mom. It's so great you have such a helpful community.

What a great time to realize the value of health... as you go through this with your mother, think about the kind of thing you kids would go through if you had continued to gain weight and experienced more frequent health problems. My dad is... and it started this whole health thing for me. I hope you can take something positive from this rough time.

upinthecosmos said...

So sorry to hear about your mom but you are blessed with all those in your circle of friends & family. Make sure to take care of you along the way & I'll be thinking positive thoughts for your mom & child, & family, as you go through this.

Jillian said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I know you need to take care of her, but you also need to make sure you keep your health a priority too. I'll be thinking of you this week. Good luck.

Michele said...

I am so sorry o read about your mom. That is tough for everyone. I hope you get some answers soon. Try to take good care of yourself.