Monday, February 21, 2011

What a Day

It actually started at 12:20 this morning. The phone rang, which is never a good thing at that time of the morning. I didnt recognize the number, so I almost didnt answer it, and then realized it was a Columbus number. It was Mom. She was saying something wasnt right there, that she was doing the same things over and over, that she was watching the same movie over and over. I tried to explain that in ICU they have to do their "routine" every hour, so it seems like she's going over the same things again and again. I asked her if she knew what time it was, and she said 20 after 12. I asked her if she knew it was midnight, and she said yes. So something had to be really bothering her to call me at that time. I talked to her nurse, and he said she woke up agitated and anxious, but was able to answer his questions. He said she seemed a bit confused about where she was and why, but she was ok.
Then I got another call at 6 this morning. When I answered, the first thing she said was, "Oh, it is you". Like she didnt expect it to be me that answered. I asked her if she was ok, and she said she just wanted to make sure she was in the James. I told her yes, she had moved from ICU to her room last night. It seemed like she thought they moved her somewhere and we werent going to be able to find her. I asked her if she wanted me to come down, and she said no, but seemed relieved when I told her Chad was going down today.
So Chad gets there just in time to find them putting her on a guerney for more surgery. The doc called me because he didnt feel she was coherent enough to consent to the surgery. She needed a tube put in to drain her kidney because they think she has a leak in her urinary tract. They put a tube in her throat during surgery, and had a hard time with that. So when she came out, they left it in (in case of an emergency) and put her back in ICU. If her vitals are stable overnight, they'll take the tube out and take her to a room tomorrow morning.
To top it all off, I'm stuck here at home. After being 60+ degrees on Friday, it snowed like a blizzard here this afternoon. I cant imagine there will even be school tomorrow, but if there is, I have a sub lined up so I can head to Columbus. As soon as the roads are clear enough tomorrow, I'm heading down. I'm not sure if I'll come home tomorrow, or wait til Wednesday. I just hate being so far away.

To make today even stranger, I got a prank call this morning at 6 as well. Some guy random dialed me looking for some "phone fun". Geesh, I'm almost 40 years old. I just kept thinking, if he knew who he called, he'd hang up awfully quick, lol. Instead he called at least 50 times. I didnt give him what he was looking for, and didnt answer all the calls, but I thought it was a bit funny.

Definitely hoping for a better tomorrow all around.

No comments: