Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Heavy Heart...

I went to the board meeting last night. I honestly could just sit here and cry today. I feel so bad. If the levy doesnt pass in November, my whole world (as well as the girls) is going to change. And I cant say its for the better.
They've proposed to close three elementary schools, and of course ours is one of them. They would have PK-3rd in AC, 4-6 at the current middle school, and 7-12 at the high school. Thats awful. The schools are going to be busting at the seams! On top of that, they'd lose 12 elementary teachers, 4 secondary teachers, possibly 1 special ed teacher, 3 secretaries, 3 librarians, 2 administrators, 3 custodians and some other aides. It just breaks my heart.
So not only will the girls all have to go to different schools, I would be out of a job...just as things are starting to look up, things are not looking real good right now.

I'm still not sure they're going about this entirely the right way. The two big things that hit Wooster hard were no sports/extracurriculars, and state minimum bussing. I didnt hear anything about those. I just dont know if it will pass with what they're proposing, even though its HUGE. I dont know how to get people to understand. I'm still considering an email to the superintendent. If they have considered those things, I'd like to know why they decided not to put them on the chopping block.

I dont know what I will do if the levy fails. Obviously I cant move, but I'm not sure I want my kids in this school district anymore. I cant believe I'm actually saying something like that. But they're planning on going to college. They need to have extracurriculars on their applications. They're super students academically, but they need the extra stuff too. What are they going to do in a school with no sports? No musicals? No marching band? No fall play?

I sure hope people open their eyes and see how important this is, and what they're denying our kids if this fails.

No comments: